- 2/3 cup (125 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (42 grams) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) lemon extract
- 2 cups (242 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) sea salt
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) powdered sugar
- Combine the lemon zest and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using your hands, rub the zest into the sugar for a minute or so until the mixture is very fragrant.
- Add the butter. Using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and lemon sugar, stopping and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract, and lemon extract and beat until combined. The mixture may look curdled because of the lemon juice.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and sea salt, and beat until the dough comes together and begins to form a ball. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Form the dough into balls about an inch and a half in diameter and place them two inches apart on a cool, ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottoms are light golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, toss them in powdered sugar and serve.